Thursday, September 1, 2011

lets see if I remember how to do this

Wow! It's been a long LOOOOOONG time! I was talkin to Buzz the other night and thought that I should start blogging again. I did good to blog once a week when Hurley was first born and after my dad passed away, I went off the deep end - literally! So now that I feel like my life has become stable again, Roxy has come into our lives and Hurley is 3, I thought I should try to do this again. So here goes.

Hmmm...I'm not 100% sure where to start. Lets skip to the point where we decided to try for little Miss Roxy! We talked to our Dr. last summer about getting pregnant with another baby. I was concerned that it would take a while, given that it had taken 5 years to finally get our little Hurley. She said that we had to try for 6 months without success before we would move onto infertility meds again. So when Hurley turned 2, we thought we'd give it a shot. I thought for sure we would go the 6 months with no luck. After all, Buzz and I just don't have "good luck." I didn't want our kids to have a HUGE age gap if it took about a year to get pregnant and that's why we decided to try when Hurley turned 2. Well, on Christmas day, Mom and Buzz kept joking around that I was pregnant. I hadn't been feeling too good for a couple of weeks. I wasn't COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED like I was when I was pregnant with Hurley though. I thought "Nope I'm not. I know what it feels like to be pregnant." I thought I had some type of bug. I was so physically weak on Christmas Eve that it took every ounce of strength I had to finish our Christmas shopping. Well, 2 days after Christmas I decided to take a test to get Buzz and my mom to give it up. I was home alone with Hurley and didn't think anything of taking a pregnancy test. EVERY test I had ever taken in the past came back negative. The pregnancy test for Hurley was done by the nurse at the Dr.'s office so I personally had never watched one turn positive. Well, those 2 little lines showed up so fast! I hadn't even finished washing my hands when I saw both lines starting to appear. I didn't know what to do! I was so excited I grabbed Hurley and gave him a HUGE hug. He looked at me weird like "I was playing with my toys Mom. Put me down!" Then I realized Buzz would be home any second. So I hurried and put the little test in a box, wrote on a little paper "Hurley's gonna be a big brother!" and wrapped it up. I finished just as he walked in the door and I walked in the front room and said "I found one last Christmas present that I forgot to give you." He opened it and was all smiles! Well, we called the Dr. because I had no idea when this baby was due (I didn't have a cycle to base it off of - TMI? Sorry). We had an ultrasound that day. They determined I was 6 weeks and that I was due August 28th! WHAT!?!? NO!?!? Being pregnant in the summer with Hurley was horrible! I told myself I was never going to do that again. Never say never I guess huh?

Well, it took a while for the reality to sink in for me. The physical exhaustion was almost overwhelming the entire pregnancy and was my constant reminder that this was not a dream. I had so many mixed emotions. I don't think my hormones went "wacky" when I was pregnant with Hurley. If they did, I'm sure that they were drowned out by the extreme happiness and excitement that we were finally going to have a baby of our own! While I was pregnant with Roxy though, I would be extremely happy one minute, pissed off at the world the next and then crying the next minute. I was a mess! Then the pain set in. My hips and my back hurt almost constantly. I couldn't sit too long, I couldn't stand too long. I had to lay a certain way when I slept and I had to walk a certain way if I sat or stood too long. I was miserable. Add the heat to that and I was done with being pregnant loooooong before this little one was due. But, we found out when I was 17 weeks in March that we were having a Girl!!! The first niece and granddaughter on my side of the family! I couldn't believe it!!! We had a follow up ultra sound when I was 20 weeks and they confirmed that it was a girl! I couldn't help but think "How did our luck change and we were able to conceive on our own and not only that, but we're also having a girl!" Life was good! The rest of the pregnancy went on without anything being wrong. I was miserable because of the pain and the heat but everything medically was fine with me and the baby.

I had my last OB appt on August 5th. My Dr. told me that if I hadn't had Roxy by August 21st, that they could induce me that day. I prayed that this little one would not wait that long. I had been having INTENSE back pain for the last 2 weeks and I didn't think I could take it anymore. Like I said before, I was ready to not be pregnant anymore! I cried at some point everyday during the last 2 weeks I was pregnant. It just seemed like too much. Well, Buzz came down with the flu (or something) that following Sunday (the 7th). He worked the next day but called in sick on Tuesday. I also called in sick on Tuesday. I had been cramping and my back pain kept me up for a good chunk of the night. Then Wednesday I woke up around 2:30 not able to sleep again, because of the back pain I had. I called in sick again, and so did Buzz because he still wasn't feeling too good. 9:30 that morning, I had just sent Gia a text about Hurley's birthday dinner and I got a contraction. It wasn't TOO painful so I questioned whether or not it was really a contraction. But after a few minutes I had another one. I was able to breathe through the contractions, but we started timing them. They were anywhere from 3 - 5 minutes apart. I thought "I still need to vacum out the car and get Hurley's snack bag packed." So we went to the car wash and the grocery store. After everything was done, I called the Dr. and they said to go ahead and go to Labor and Delivery. We dropped Hurley off to Grandma Cheryl and headed to the hospital. By the time we got there it was a little after 1 (maybe 2 I can't remember exactly). I was dilated to a 3 and hooked up to all the monitors. I was checked again an hour later but still hadn't dilated so they had me walk. An hour later, still a 3. They gave me one more hour and I still hadn't progressed so they gave me some morphine and sent me home. My contractions eventually started to slow down and became less painful as the night went on. We put Hurley to bed that night and he only slept for about a half hour in his bed when we heard him start crying. We could tell he knew something was going on, but he wasn't sure what exactly. Buzz put him in bed with him and I took the couch so I didn't keep my boys awake. I couldn't sleep anyways because of the contractions and my aching back so I read for a while. Around 4:30 Hurley came in the front room and wanted a drink. So I got him some milk and he says "come lay by me mom" so I went in the bedroom and layed down by my baby boy. He kept rubbing my arm and face and the next thing I knew I had 2 BIG PAINFUL contractions. I got up to go into the bathroom and while I was washing my hands, I felt a trickle down my leg. My VERY FIRST THOUGHT: My babies are gonna have the same birthday! That's exactly what I didn't want (remember I said we don't have good luck haha). Anyway I went into the bedroom and woke up Buzz telling him that I thought my water had broke and that we needed to go. He asked me if I was sure and as soon as I had another contraction I was sure!!! He was really delirious and it took him what felt like an eternity to get dressed and I was going as fast as I could to get Hurley and I ready to go because the pain was intensifying. The ride to the daycare was painful. I was trying so hard to be quite and not scare Hurley in the car! But I would moan and clawed the back of my seat. He kept sayin "it's o-tay mommy" while I was moaning through the contractions. I felt so bad. We got him dropped off to my mom at the daycare and Buzz started talking to my mom. I was pounding on the window telling him we had to go! AHHHH! The pain was excruciating! So he got in and off we went. We got to the hospital and as soon as we parked I started to walk inside. I got about a 1/3 of the way into the entrance and turned around to see Buzz still in the car. I walked back over to the car and asked "what are you doing?!?" I don't remember what he said, it had to do with making sure we had everything we needed, and I just started shoving things that had fallen out of the back back in the bag so we could go since I was leaving a puddle in the parking lot. We walked inside and he asked me if I wanted a wheel chair. I said "no" and got into the elevator but he got me one anyway. I tried to sit but that just made the pain worse - now that I think about it, I don't know where the wheel chair ended up lol. Anyways, we got up to Labor and Delivery and it felt like an eternity before the nurse came up to the desk. She got a little bit of information and FINALLY took us to a room. I got a contraction before I got to the bed and grabbed onto the table when a nurse came in and says "yeah, she's definitely ruptured lets take her to 4-11." So she says "come on." I told her "wait I'm having a contraction!" So as soon as my contraction was over I waddled into another room. The rest of the story until I get my epidural is really blurry. I don't really remember getting the gown on and I don't remember them putting the monitors on my belly. I do remember them checking me! I wanted to kill the nurse. SOOO PAINFUL!!! I believe I was still at a 3 but they kept me because my water had broke. And I do remember getting my I.V. and immediately asking for some pain meds while I waited for my epidural. I was beyond thinking logically because of the pain. I remember telling myself to quit being so loud but with each contraction as the pain would mount, I just couldn't help it. I thought that I was going to rip Ryan's hoodie into pieces or the bed rail off the bed from gripping them so tight. They got me some pain meds in my I.V. and that took the edge off. Then, FINALLY, the Anesthesiologist came in. Sweet relief was just around the corner. The Anesthesiologist was EXTREMELY nice. I had 3 contractions while he was getting my epidural in. I couldn't move and I thought "I can't do this." But the Anesthesiologist kept telling me "it's ok My Dear, we're almost done My Dear" and someone (I'm assuming a nurse) walked me through that last contraction and after what felt like an eternity, the Anesthesiologist was done and my pain started to subside. Somewhere in that time, they checked me again and I was at a 5. I don't know when that happened and giving what that entails you would think I remember but I don't. I do remember at around 9:45 I was a 6 and at 10:50 I was a 7. Around 11:10 I remember feeling lots of pressure but I thought "No way! They just checked me!" But I called the nurse in and sure enough I was ready to go. They called Heather and she came and delivered our little Roxy at 11:26 a.m. The first thing I asked was "Is she ok? WAIT! It is a she right!?!?" Then they laid her on my tummy and she was PERFECT!!! She was 6 lbs 10 oz and 18 1/2 in long with lots of black hair! I couldn't be more relieved!

Well, after a making sure Roxy was healthy and fine, I got to nurse her and then Buzz and the nurse took Roxy down to the nursery for her 1st bath. And I waited in my L&D room. I called my mom and Gia & they came up with Hurley. We hung out for a little bit while they got my recovery room ready. After what seemed like forever, I was finally taken down to my room. After a while I called Buzz to make sure everything was ok. He said "yeah." So I said "Can I have my baby back?" It had been about 3 hours. They finally came in and I got to hold both of my babies. Life was perfect!

So that's the story of how our little Roxy Mac came to be.

No comments: